Romeo’s Journal

This day has been filled with terror, rage, and loss. All I have wanted was for peace between the Capulets and the Montagues. Today when I tried to make peace, things only got worse. I tried to calm down Tybalt, but it ended in my dear friend, Mercutio’s death. I was so caught up in anger and rage, that I had slain Tybalt, Juliet’s cousin. I fear what is going to happen to me now. I have just killed someone of a family I had just been married into,  because of a stupid feud between our families. Better yet, Juliet, my wife, will find out how Tybalt died. After us only being married for an hour, I have already disrespected her family.

I don’t know how to come back from this. I don’t know if Juliet will forgive me. I have already lost so much, my home, my family, my friend, but I fear I will lose much more. I fear I may lose Juliet. I’m sure she won’t forgive me, who would. For it was my fault Mercutio and Tybalt have fallen. Everything bad that has happened today was my fault. Now, only an hour after getting married I’ve upset everyone. But most of all I’ve upset Juliet. I don’t know if she can forgive me, I wouldn’t forgive myself….so why would she?

I was hoping for the future to hold fortunes but now, I’m not so sure. I was hoping for our families to come together and solve our differences. I was hoping for finally some peace in Verona. But now with what I have done, I don’t know what will happen.  I don’t know if I will ever see Juliet again, as much as I desire too, I don’t know if she’ll want to see me. With that, I don’t know what my consequences will be for killing Tybalt. Will I even be able to see Benvolio again? Only time will tell what awaits me.

What will my family think of me? Will they still love me? What will the Capulets think of me? What will Verona think of me? But most what will the Juliet think of me? Will she love me again? Did Juliet ever love me? I may never know. I don’t know if I will be able to live with myself, knowing that Juliet doesn’t love. With everyone in Verona maybe I shall go into hiding until everyone forgets. Will anyone forget? What will the Prince have to do with it?

I don’t know what to do. I am still unaware if I have a punishment. I’m still processing what has just happened, and just after marrying the love of my life, I ruined it. Now I just have to wait to hear what the prince has for me and I have to wait to see what Juliet thinks of me. I do fear that Juliet may not forgive me, after all, if Juliet can’t forgive me for killing Tybalt, would anyone forgive me?

Read 1 comment

1. Great creative writing taking on the Romeo persona, Brennon. It doesn’t seem like you were adding sentences after sentence just to get your numbers up, so there’s a natural flow to the character’s fears and panic. You’ve done well to develop and represent those! Great insights!